I mentioned in a previous post the my wife recently completed a 360 degree appraisal on the managers in her childrens nursery. She gave some valuable feedback on the process which I will share here.
First let me explain how our self service 360 system works. With Peter Hyde, we have developed www.myown360.com . Peter produced a comprehensive competency framework across a range of competencies and their associated behaviours. The client selects the competencies that best suits them (if they just want feedback on themselves) or their team. A selection of respondents is chosen and everyone completes the feedback.
Here is my wife’s feedback
- The managers were nervous coming into the process
- The managers did though want to get the feedback and felt valued to be part of the process
- The respondents took great care over their behavioural rankings and over the narrative elements of the feedback
- They struggled a little with the language (a learning point for us as we had reduced the jargonese but not far enough)
- The feedback sessions were extremely powerful
- To do it properly (preparation, discussion, completion, review, create development plan) takes a significant investment of time
- You had to follow itup with a development plan
When I read this list I realise that the size of the organisation has not in any way affected the feedback. I am also reminded of the power of a well run 360 degree feedback process.